Miles Junkie is supported by you, our readers, and this article may have references to products from one or more of our advertising partners. When you click on links to products we may receive compensation. For a more in-depth explanation visit our Advertising Policy.
The Bilt Mastercard is a unique credit card designed to cater specifically to the needs of renters, offering a variety of benefits and rewards. One of the main selling points of the Bilt card is that members can earn points when paying their rent with the credit card. Additionally, cardholders will earn points on purchases like dining or travel and redeem those points for rewards. In this article, we will explore the features of the Bilt Mastercard, the airlines and hotel partners associated with Bilt and how it differs from traditional credit cards.
Features of Bilt Mastercard
- 1 point per dollar spent on rental payments without transaction fees. Bilt puts an earning cap of 100,000 points per calendar year on rent payment rewards. Additionally, in order to receive points on rental payments and other transactions, cardholders must use the card at least 5 times per statement cycle.
- If the property owner only excepts check, cardholders can still pay with their card to earn points on rental transactions. When Cardholders pay their rent through the Bilt rewards app, Bilt will send the property owner a check on your behalf.
- 2X points per dollar spent on travel purchases.
- 3X points per dollar spent on dining.
- No annual fee.
- 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Ability to redeem points towards rent payments.
- Cellphone protection: If cardholders pay their monthly cell phone bill with their Bilt card, members will get up to $800 of protection against theft or damage. Cardholders will be subject to a $25 deductible. “This benefit does not cover cell phones that are lost (i.e., mysteriously disappear). ”
- Points will not expire as long as your account is active.
Double Points on Purchases — Rent Day Promo
Bilt Mastercard members have the ability to earn double points on rent day, (the first of every month). This feature allows cardholders to earn twice the number of points for every dollar spent on selected categories, rental payments are not included. The selected categories and the amount of points earned are:
- 6X per dollar spent on dining.
- 4X per dollar spent on travel purchases.
- 2X per dollar on all other purchases.
- 10,000 point cap per month on these bonus points.
|2X per dollar spent on travel purchases: travel purchases include flights, hotels, car rentals and cruises. Thirty party bookings will not earn points on purchases.
|Auto collision damage waiver: Decline the rental car insurance and be automatically covered up to $50,000 in collision coverage.
|Trip delay reimbursement: If your trip is delayed for a minimum of 6 hours, Bilt will reimburse you up to $200 per day with a cap at $1,800. Cardholders must a have a qualified reason for the trip delay. Those reasons are mechanical issues of the airline and/or air traffic control delays and weather. Additionally, this coverage will only apply from trip departure and trip completion date as originally scheduled.
|World Elite Mastercard Concierge phone service: To assist with travel reservations and recommendations on planning activities during your trip.
|Trip cancellation and interruption protection: Cardholders can receive up to $5,000 for non-refundable fares if their trip is canceled or interrupted. The trip must be cancelled or interrupted for a qualify reason such as death or sickness.
|Lyft credits: If Bilt cardholders take 3 Lyft ride per calendar month, cardholders will receive a $5 Lyft credit. (valid through 3/31/24)
|No foreign currency conversion fees.
Bilt offers a basic tier structure for its members. The additional benefits cardholders will receive will vary depending on which status level you fall under. Below we will explore the different status levels offered and the limited benefits associated with each level.
Status earned between Jan 1 and Jun 30 each year will expire Jan 31 of the following year. Status earned between Jul 1 and Dec 31 will remain active the rest of the year in which it was earned and the entire following year.
Cardholders will be automatically enrolled in the Blue status level when approved for the card. Benefits include:
- 1:1 transfer to airline and hotel partners.
- Ability to earn points on rental payments and additional transactions.
- Regular reporting to credit bureaus.
In order to achieve Silver status, cardholders will need to have accumulated 25,000 points in a calendar year. Additional benefits include:
- 10 % bonus points on new leases and renewals: When you sign a new lease or renew an existing one, BILT will deposit 10% bonus points on top of the points issued by the landlord for signing the lease.
- Interest earned on points: Bilt will look at cardholders previous 30 days daily average points balance and will pay interest on your daily points average. The rate of interest cardholders can expect to earn based on national rates can be viewed here on FDIC.gov.
To reach Bilts Gold status level, members will need to have banked 50,000 points in a calendar year. Benefits include:
- 25% bonus points on new leases or renewals.
- Homeownership concierge: Cardholders can opt to redeem bilt points towards a future downpayment on a home. If you decide to use this benefit, Bilt offers a concierge service that will provide guidance on the process of purchasing a home.
Cardholders who have earned 100,000 points in a calendar year will be granted Bilt’s Platinum status level. Benefits include:
- 50% bonus points on new leases or renewals.
- Complimentary Bilt collection gift: When cardholders reach the Platinum status level, you will receive a gift. This gift is usually home decor or artwork.
Airline & Hotel Transfer Partners
Bilt has partnered with 13 airlines and 3 major hotel companies. All offer a 1:1 standard transfer rate when transferring Bilt points through the Bilt travel portal. Additionally, cardholders will earn 100 points for every loyalty program linked to their Bilt rewards account. Be on the lookout for occasional bonus offers that increase transfer rates to specific partners. Airline and hotel partners are as follows:
|IHG Hotels and Resorts
|World of Hyatt
The standout feature of the Built Mastercard is its ability to earn points on rental payments without incurring an additional transaction fee. This is a unique benefit that sets it apart from most other credit cards on the market, and if you rent makes this card a must have. Double points earned on rent day is an appealing feature and the ability to redeem them on rental payments or even a future downpayment on a home could be attractive.
Built offers a solid selection of airline and hotel partners with a 1:1 transfer ratio, and this is probably the best redemption option since great value can be found booking international flights with loyalty points — especially in premium cabins. However, if travel benefits hold more value for you, the American Express Platinum or the Citi Premier credit cards may be a better options when it comes to travel and purchases beyond rent. I would also like to see more benefits within Bilt’s status levels, but they’re better than nothing. Overall, Bilt offers some interesting features and a strong rewards program specifically geared towards renters.
Editorial Note: Information and opinions articulated in this article are solely those of the author’s, not those of a credit card company, bank, airline or hotel chain. This article has not been reviewed or approved by or otherwise endorsed by any of these companies or organizations.