Miles Junkie is supported by you, our readers, and this article may have references to products from one or more of our advertising partners. When you click on links to products we may receive compensation. For a more in-depth explanation visit our Advertising Policy.
Mileage Plan is Alaska Air’s loyalty rewards program, offering you the chance to earn miles while traveling with Alaska Airlines, oneworld Alliance partners, and participating partner programs like hotels and car rental companies. The amount of miles earned per flight will depend on the distance flown and your MVP status level. As long as you keep your account active, your miles won’t expire and signing up is free. You can further increase the earning potential of this rewards program by participating with partners – giving you an opportunity to collect even more miles.
MVP Elite Status
Alaska’s Milage Plan offers a four tier system, which they have dubbed MVP Status. Below is a breakdown of the MVP status’s, how to achieve each status level and what additional benefits/perks are offered.
In order to achieve MVP status you will need to accumulate 20,000 miles in a calendar year. When you achieve this status you will be eligible for:
- 50% bonus elite miles earned, however bonus miles do NOT count towards MVP status
- First and Premium class upgrades on Alaska non-qualifying fares
- Priority check in and boarding
- 2 free checked bags
- Preferred seating options
- Express security line as selected airports
- Alaska lounge membership discount
What Alaska Says About Sustainability
We take a holistic approach to sustainability, reducing our climate impact by being the most fuel efficient US airline and pursuing a long term path to achieve net-zero carbon emissions, as well as reducing waste and supporting healthy ecosystems in the places we live and fly. Echoing our origins navigating the evergreen wilderness of Alaska, we call this our EverGreen journey—built on the foundation of our longstanding commitment to care for the planet for the long haul.
Get more info about Alaska’s commitment to sustainability here.
In order to reach this tier status level you will need to accumulate 40,000 miles in a calendar year. All of the benefits offered in the MVP status are included as well as:
- Earn 100% elite bonus miles
- Companion upgrades to First and Premium class options
- Guaranteed 4 first class guest upgrades per year
- Complimentary beverages or snacks
- Standby and wait list priority for full flights
- Complimentary same-day flight changes
MVP Gold 75K
The third status offered by Alaska air is MVP 75K. In order to reach this status level you will need 75,000 miles in a calendar year. Additional benefits at this level:
- Earn 125% elite bonus miles
- Earn 50,000 bonus base miles upon qualification for this status
- International upgrade certificates on American Airlines (one, one-way upgrade)
- 3 Free checked bags
- 4 Alaska lounge day passes per year
MVP Gold 100K
MVP Gold 100K status is the highest tier of membership offered by Alaska Air and will provide exclusive benefits to those who qualify. Earning this status level takes dedication and hard work – you’ll have to bank 100,000 miles in a single calendar year. In additional to all the benefits offered by the status levels listed above, you will be also enjoy:
- Earn 150% elite bonus miles
- First and Premium class upgrades on Alaska’s highest waitlist priority.
- International upgrade certificates on American Airlines (two one-way upgrades)
Million Miler: Members who accumulate 1 million miles on Alaska Air will be awarded MVP Gold Status for life.
Airline Partners Include:
Aer Lingus, Air Tahiti Nui, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Condor, El AL Israel Airlines, Fiji Airways, Icelandair, Iberia, Hainan Airlines, Finnair, Malaysia Airlines, Korean Air, Japan Airlines, Latam Airlines, Ran Alaska, Royal Maroc, Qantas and Qatar Airways.
Hotel Partners Include:
- Best Western Hotels and resorts: Earn 250 miles per stay.
- Marriott Bonvoy: Earn two miles per U.S. Dollar spent on charges.
- Choice Hotels: Earn 250 miles per stay.
- Rocketmiles: Earn 500 to 10,000 miles per night per reservation.
- Coast Hotels: Earn 250 miles per qualifying rate
- Westmark Hotels: Earn 2 miles per dollar spent.
- IHG Hotels and Resorts: Earn two miles per dollar spent or local currency or 500 miles per stay.
Car Rental Partners Include:
- Alamo: Earn 50 miles per day.
- Avis: Rent up to 4 days and earn 50 miles per day. If your rental is 5+ earn 500 miles and save up to 35% off base rates using AWD#K197800.
- Budget: Earn 50 miles per day up to 4 days rental. Earn 500 miles on 5+ day rentals. A 30% off base rates using BCD#U07220 is also included.
- Dollar: Earn 50 miles per day,
- Hertz: Earn 50 miles per rental day of one to four days. Earn 500 miles per rentals 5+ days.
- National: Earn 50 miles per day.
- Thrifty: Earn 50 miles per day.
Understanding airline miles and finding the best deals to maximize your miles is key. With Alaska Mileage Plan, you’ll get a great head start. Accumulating 7,500 miles will earn you a one-way flight in economy on most domestic flights – regardless of how much you spend. It’s also worth noting that when you fly farther, the more miles you’ll earn. To have a more detailed look at the miles needed for free flights, click here to view their Award Charts.
The miles you can earn with the Alaska Mileage Plan can certainly be valuable if you fly Alaska a lot — and their partnership with American Airlines is unique, giving you access to one of the largest networks in the world. Members can enjoy discounts on flights and upgrades, as well as exclusive access to promotional deals and other benefits. All in all, this comprehensive rewards program provides members with an array of opportunities to save money while traveling and makes your flight experience more enjoyable.
Editorial Note: Information and opinions articulated in this article are solely those of the author’s, not those of a credit card company, bank, airline or hotel chain. This article has not been reviewed or approved by or otherwise endorsed by any of these companies or organizations.