Miles Junkie is supported by you, our readers, and this article may have references to products from one or more of our advertising partners. When you click on links to products we may receive compensation. For a more in-depth explanation visit our Advertising Policy.
Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club rewards program provides an opportunity for travelers to be rewarded with points through ticket purchases and additional expenses. Through the Flying Club, members can earn points on every flight they take and use points to book flights, upgrade cabins and get access to exclusive offers from Virgin Atlantic partners. With various tiers ranging from red to gold, this rewards program gives members the chance to enjoy more privileges and exclusive benefits the higher you climb in tier level. Below we will take a closer look at the flying club rewards program, the best way to earn points, how to gain a higher tier level and partners associated with this rewards program.
As a Flying Club rewards member you will earn points on every flight. The type of ticket you purchase, cabin and tier status level greatly effects the number of points you will earn. Virgin Atlantic doesn’t have a set amount of points you will earn per dollar spent or miles traveled. Instead their earnings calculator will advise you of how many points you can earn on your flight. For example, a round trip flight from London to New York, Red tier level in economy seating will earn you just 863 points. Points will never expire, it’s free to join and at times Virgin Atlantic offers lucrative additional bonus points for flights. For example, Virgin Atlantic currently list’s an additional 10,000 bonus points offer for the NY to London flight if you fly economy delight class of service.
Tier points are awarded based on the fare class purchased, not by revenue or miles flown. Tier points are different from redeemable points and enables members to reach higher reward levels quickly and enjoy additional benefits during their travels. Unlike many other elite status programs your tier level is calculated on a rolling basis – so if you achieve enough tier points for a certain tier in, for example, July — you will be at that level for the next 12 months (until the end of July the following year). Additionally, your tier earning period is from the beginning of the month, in the previous year, to the current date. E.g., if it’s July 25th – all tier points from July 1 of the previous year to the current date are counted towards qualification.
How many Tier Points you’ll earn in each cabin (one way)
|Tier Points earned
|(A*, E, Q, X, N, O)
|(L, U, M, Y, B, R)
|(H, K, P*)
|(J, C, D, I)
New members are automatically enrolled in this tier. Additional information on red tier is as follows:
- Earn points as well as tier points on all flights
- Tier points will expire after 12 months
- Discounts on access and the ability to earn points at No1 lounges
- Enroll your children with no age restrictions
In order to achieve Silver status you will need to earn 400 tier points in the previous 12 month period. Additional perks include:
- Earn an additional 30% bonus points on flights
- Premium check in
- Priority waitlist for all flights
- The ability to gift companion or upgrade vouchers to friends and family
- SkyTeam Elite benefits when flying partners
Achieving Gold will require you to earn 1,000 tier points in the previous 12 month period. All the benefits included in the Red and Silver apply to the Gold as well as :
- Earn 60% additional bonus points on flights
- Free preferred seat selection for your flight in economy class
- Upper class check in flying in an cabin
- Clubhouse access when flying in any cabin for yourself and one guest
- Access to London Heathrow’s Revivals Lounge
- 2,000 birthday bonus points
- Complimentary companion ticket every anniversary year of your Gold tier status
- Clubhouse passes for you to keep or share when you reach 1,500 tier points in membership year
- Cabin upgrade reward when you achieve 2,000 tier points in membership year
- Gift a sliver tier status to a friend and guaranteed economy setting on all flights
- SkyTeam Elite Plus benefits when flying parter airlines
Virgin Atlantic lists 29 airline partners which gives flying club members the ability to not only earn redeemable Virgin points but also tier points per flight. The amount of Virgin points and tier points you earn per flight varies per airline. Seating selection, distance of flight and tier levels greatly influence the amount of points you will earn. Some of these partners include Air France, Delta Air Lines and British Airways just to name a few. For a complete list of all airline partners associated with Virgin Atlantic’s Flying club and the amounts of points you will earn per flight click here. Below is a breakdown of how many tier points as well as Virgin points you will earn with Delta Airlines. All that said, Virgin Atlantic just became a member of SkyTeam, so we will update information about alliance partners etc here in the coming months.
Here is, as an example, the way you’d earn Flying Club points and Tier points on a Delta flight:
Tier points earned on Delta flights
|Less than 3,000 miles flown
|More than 3,000 miles flown
|J, C, D, I
|Y, B, M, H, Q, K
|L, U, T, X, V
Points earned on Delta flights
|Business/Delta One®Domestic First
|J, C, D
|Y, B, M
|H, Q, K
|L, U, T, X, V
Flying club members also have the option to earn Virgin points at participating hotels. Below is a list of a few selected hotel partners associated with this rewards program and the amount of Flying Club points you can earn. For a complete list of Hotel partners click here.
- Best Western: You will need to be a member of Best Western Rewards in order to earn Virgin points. Members will earn 500 points per qualifying stay.
- Marriot Bonvoy: As a Flying Club and Marriott Bonvoy member you will be able to earn 2 points per dollar spent on all qualifying charges at: W Hotels, Edition, St. Regis, The Ritz-Carlton, JW Marriott and The Luxury Collection. Earn 2 points per dollar spent on room rates only at: Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels by Marriott, Sheraton, Marriott Vacation Club, Westin, Gaylord Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Le Meridien and Design Hotels.
- Hyatt: To earn Virgin points you will need to be a member of World of Hyatt rewards program. Member will earn 750 points per stay. Converting World of Hyatt points to Virgin points is another way to boost your Flying Club account balance. For every 5000 minimum World of Hyatt points you convert, you get 3000 Virgin points. If you convert 50,000 World of Hyatt points or more, you will receive and additional 7,500 bonus Virgin Points
- IHG Hotels and Resorts: Earn 500 Virgin points per qualified stay at Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants and Intercontinental Hotels and Resorts. Earn 400 points per stay at Hotel Indigo and Crowne Plaza. Earn 300 points per stay at all other IHG Hotels.
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club rewards program is a beneficial way for travelers to get the most out of their Virgin Atlantic experiences and earn rewards that they can use for future flights. Virgin Atlantic offers various tiers with different benefits, ensuring there are rewards available to all types of travelers. I like the fact that Virgin points will never expire and the additional 30% or 60% points earned at Silver and Gold status levels. Additionally, the tier points expiring within a rolling 12 month period is a unique feature and should be monitored closely in order to receive the highest amount of Virgin points and additional benefits on your travels. With Virgin Atlantic’s recent entry into the SkyTeam alliance, there are now even more reasons to travel with them.
Editorial Note: Information and opinions articulated in this article are solely those of the author’s, not those of a credit card company, bank, airline or hotel chain. This article has not been reviewed or approved by or otherwise endorsed by any of these companies or organizations.